Saturday 4 August 2012

Inspiration 3: Toy Story

I was inspired by the lighting concepts in “Toy Story”, especially by how the first scene was warmly lit, to represent a child’s memory of his first playtimes. My interest in coloring and my reflection on John Lasseter’s work have given me new dimensions on how to use colors to reflect the mood I want in the scene. I learned that colouring is as important as any other aspect in a scene. I was also inspired by Sharon Calahan, lighting technical director in the film, his work helped me realise how much lights can add visual interest to the film. Lights can create drama as they would in any live-action film. Andy's room, for example, has high-key, warm lights to create a happy, friendly, safe place. In my environment concept of the piano scene, I used very warm colours, mainly orange to create my atmosphere. I understood the importance of colours for the representation of emotions and memories.

The narrative of Toy Story revolves around toys, which are common across cultures and countries and that allowed the movie to be more universal. Toy Story’s main characters are toys and the narrative revolves around them. Nostalgia, childhood and toys are key elements of the Toy Story franchise.

The majority of the “Toy Story” s target audience have or have had playful childhood experiences with toys and Pixar's character designs reflect the universality of the toys, which are not products of any specific era, because audience of all ages can relate to the toys in the film.

Toy Story and representation of Nostalgia:

The 3 Toy Story films demonstrate a good understanding of complex viewer nostalgia. The films engage with the semiotics of toys, as a trigger of nostalgia and the memories of childhood. Having childhood as a theme, the film provokes much emotion across diverse audience.In my short film, I decided to have a piano toy as a trigger for the story in my short movie. The piano represents at the same time Childhood and nostalgia. The action starts in the little girl’s room where we find toys and drawings. I did not want to have a room crowded with toys, so I did my best to pick the ones I thought would be the most common across cultures and genders.

No comments:

Post a Comment