Thursday 24 November 2011

My field of study: Animation



Mickey Mouse, Tom and Jerry, Donald Duck, Peter Pan, and Pinocchio were all parts of my illusive world when I was a child. All these cartoon characters are the creation of the wonderful art of animation that captivates our minds and makes our childhood days full of imagination and fun. Animation represents the world that exists outside our regular lives. Not only is it a source of entertainment, but it has the power to influence. While I admired and respected the art, it was not until I read about Walt Disney’s history that I realized how much of a profound effect the Disney series made on popular culture.

I always thought that the greatest artists were animators, because they could influence the whole of society, from its youngest to its oldest members. Personally, animation was my anchor as I was growing up. In many ways, it instilled in me certain principles to live by. There was always a sense of courtesy, civility, and fair play as the fundamental message of many animated series.

Thus, I finished high school and decided to major in Computer Graphics & Animation. The reason I chose this major was my love for art, and my belief in the power of the image. I want to influence my Lebanese society; I want to make it think, and reason, through image. Animation can be one of the most significant and enjoyable activities for the society. It is an interesting combination of Science, Art, and Spirituality. For example, in order to make a simple walk cycle for a character, not only does the animator have to know the principles of animation and the use of computer software, but he/she should also use their knowledge about the body’s anatomy and the laws of physics in order to make a realistic movements. The power of a good animation should not be underestimated.
I am intrigued and mesmerized by the field and know of my creativity and capabilities which I can offer in  the world of animation. 

I aim to create a new world of communication based on imaging that will reach an audience, convey morals and values, and hopefully make a difference.

Sabine T.


No comments:

Post a Comment